Back by popular demand, the American Literary Translators Association is delighted to present Speed-Dating for Editors and Translators at our 40th annual conference.
Interested translators will have the chance to discuss a short sample of their work with an editor from prominent publications, such as Coffee House Press, Words Without Borders, Graywolf Press, the CSU Poetry Center, Open Letter, The Kenyon Review, Amazon Crossing, Tupelo Press, and many more. Translators will be paired with a participating editor for a 10-15 minute mini-meeting to receive feedback on up to two pages of their work. Translators are also welcome to submit guiding questions for specific feedback.
Applications are accepted through Submittable, and will close at 11:59pm EST on Friday September 15, 2017.
To be considered for a consultation, please submit the following information and materials in a SINGLE document file:
- Your name, email address, and a 50 word (maximum) translator biography.
- Your preference for editor area-of-expertise (poetry, prose, or non-fiction).
- Up to 2 specific questions for the editor about the material (ex. “Is this pacing effective?” or “What do you think of this phrasing?”). General inquiries (ex. “How can I get published?”) will not be permitted.
- Up to 2 double spaced pages of translated material to discuss with the editor (10 minutes goes by quickly. We suggest 2 double-spaced pages of prose or 1 single-spaced page of poetry).
- For traditional work, please format things in a standard way (double-spaced, 1" margins, 12 pt. Arial, Times New Roman, or another standard legible font). Of course, typographically experimental work is also welcome.
Submission files must meet the following formatting specifications:
- Microsoft Word file type (.doc or .docx) or Adobe PDF (.pdf)
Note: if the number of applicants exceeds the number of available time slots, consultations will be awarded with preference to current ALTA members and by date of submission (first-come, first-serve).
Translators selected for a consultation are strongly encouraged to make a donation of $10 to ALTA to support future programming. You can make your donation here.